Since Halloween is around the corner and I haven’t made a lot of progress in any of the books I’m reading, here’s a list of stories that are all pretty great as well as spooky if not outright terrifying. Happily, they are all available for free online.
Some are wordier than others and one is a comic, but what they all have in common is that they rely quite a bit on the power of a reader’s imagination. I’ve always found those stories to be the ones that keep me up at night. Definitely check them out if, like me, you’re trying to maintain a frighteningly festive frame of mind.
- “The Damned Thing” by Ambrose Bierce
- “The Emperor’s Old Bones” by Gemma Files
- “Harold” by Alvin Schwartz
- “His Face All Red” by Emily Carroll
- “The Shadow Over Innsmouth” by H. P. Lovecraft
- “Skulls in the Stars” by Robert E. Howard
- “The Tell-Tale Heart” by Edgar Allen Poe
If all else fails, I would suggest reading copious amounts of H. P. Lovecraft, and most of that will be easy to find in any format you desire. If you have trouble visualizing any of his creepy creations, you can always spend half a day staring at all the cool beasties over at Yog Blogsoth!